Sunday, August 17, 2008

NO SMOKING!

I took the kids to the Farmer's Market a week ago and we had a fun time looking at all the fresh produce and homemade crafts. The market is held at Pioneer Park which is home to many homeless men and women. As we were walking around Spencer was having a day full of chatter and curiosity. He kept asking why people were taking naps on the grass instead of their bed, and why there was a shopping cart at the park, etc. The questions kept coming as I tried to distract him from this new reality that not everyone has a home.

Spencer ran up to a homeless man who was minding his own business but was smoking and gave him the following speech:

Spencer: Don't smoke Jesus said it is bad for our body's. It will destroy you.

Mom: I am so sorry he is just learning about all kinds of new things and I am trying to teach him some house rules.

Stranger: Well.. I think he is right smoking will destroy my body.

Spencer: Mom, I was just telling him what Jesus told us!

Pretty cute! He is just learning so much and when I think that I am teaching to a very distracted 3 1/2 year old, he is actually picking up what I am saying! But, my next teaching moment was in the car explaining that everyone has their free agency and makes their own choices, we will see if that stuck in his mind before he scolds another innocent bystander. So be careful if you are doing something wrong Spencer will tell you to stop!

1 comment:

Linds said...

oh I love it! i think it really sticks out to people when a young child can know so well when something is right or wrong.